Monday, September 20, 2010

Books and Things

After I graduated from Northern Arizona and moved out to NC, I found that I didn't have enough time to actually take pleasure in reading.  My English classes at NAU let me basically spend days reading novels, memoirs, essays and poems - it was awesome.   But being an art student, I was reading art history, staying up late drawing the interior of my apartment and finding myself so burnt out from hours of lecture the only thing I could do was sit in front of the TV.  Being home (and unemployed), I now have as much time as I want to read.  I am a big re-reader, so since moving back from AZ I have re-read the Harry Potter and the LOTR series, random novels from my childhood, plus 12 books that are listed on the side of the blog.  My latest book?  The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.  WOW.  I read it in one sitting (about 5 hours) and it was great.  My friend recommended it, and without knowing she picked a book that is in one of my favorite genre's of writing - post apocalyptic/post american society.  I know, I am weird, but books like The Handmaid's Tale and The Road are among my absolute favorites.  The Hunger Games is the first in a trilogy (should have gotten the boxed set at Target when I was there!) and this first book was descriptive, well paced and completely entertaining.

I will definitely be buying the rest of the series tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment